Compare the calories burned dancing to a variety of other activities at the calories burned chart.
The great thing about calories burned dancing is that most people enjoy dancing, and dance not to burn calories and lose weight but to feel good dancing. This is good because unlike running, for example, which most people see as a chore, or as something they have to force themselves to do, dancing is an activity that is enjoyable, and that, probably, no one is forcing you to do. The calories burned dancing, then, are like bonus calories.
Another good thing about calories burned dancing is that dancing can be done just about anywhere, with a partner or without one, with music or without music. There’s never an excuse not to dance, and not to be burning calories dancing.
And dancing really does burn a fair amount of calories. It’s similar to other low aerobic activities in that it gets you active and moving, but not to an uncomfortable degree, which makes it ideal for burning a moderate amount of calories.
Calories Burned – Dancing
The amount of calories burned dancing is going to depend on a few things. One of those things is your weight. Another is the pace at which you dance.
All data is from the Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise journal, the official journal of the American College of Sports Medicine.
Calories Burned Dancing – Slow
- If you weigh roughly 130 pounds: 177 calories burned dancing per hour
- If you weigh roughly 155 pounds: 211 calories burned per hour
- If you weigh roughly 180 pounds: 245 calories burned per hour
- If you weigh roughly 205 pounds: 279 calories burned per hour
Calories Burned Dancing – Fast
- If you weigh roughly 130 pounds: 325 calories burned dancing per hour
- If you weigh roughly 155 pounds: 387 calories burned per hour
- If you weigh roughly 180 pounds: 449 calories burned per hour
- If you weigh roughly 205 pounds: 512 calories burned per hour
So the number of calories burned dancing will depend to a high degree on the pace at which you dance. A fast pace of dance requires a certain amount of skill and knowledge of dancing, depending of course upon what kind of dancing you’re doing.
But rather than trying to push the pace and worry too much about burning calories enjoy yourself when dancing, don’t worry about the amount of calories burned dancing, and your pace will improve as your dancing skills do.
To see even more calorie burning activities check out the calories burned chart.