Compare the calories burned playing basketball to a variety of other activities at the calories burned chart.
While the amount of calories burned playing basketball are not insignificant, it must be said that if you are playing basketball solely to burn calories and lose weight, then you are missing the greatest benefit of playing basketball.
And that benefit is fun. Playing basketball is great for your waistline, but it’s also a lot of fun. If you are willing to do something that you don’t enjoy to burn calories, then you should really consider burning calories jogging, for instance, as jogging isn’t much fun, but it will help burn a lot of calories.
Basketball really is, however, exactly the kind of activity that will have you burning large amounts of calories. The constant back and forth, running and jogging, sprinting and arm movement all add up to a lot of calories burned playing basketball. A lot of people can play basketball for a significant amount of time to, which is another important variable when considering how many calories you are burning, and weight being lost.
Calories Burned – Playing Basketball
Not all basketball is equal. Playing basketball at a fast pace will increase the amount of calories burned playing basketball, whereas a slow pace will lower them.
All data is from the Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise journal, the official journal of the American College of Sports Medicine.
Calories Burned Playing Basketball – Slow Pace
- If you weigh roughly 130 pounds: 354 calories burned playing basketball per hour
- If you weigh roughly 155 pounds: 422 calories burned per hour
- If you weigh roughly 180 pounds: 490 calories burned per hour
- If you weigh roughly 205 pounds: 558 calories burned per hour
Calories Burned Playing Basketball – Fast Pace
- If you weigh roughly 130 pounds: 472 calories burned playing basketball per hour
- If you weigh roughly 155 pounds: 563 calories burned per hour
- If you weigh roughly 180 pounds: 654 calories burned per hour
- If you weigh roughly 205 pounds: 745 calories burned per hour
So what should be obvious from the information above on the number of calories burned playing basketball is that a fast pace game is far better for your waist line than a slow paced game is.
Definitely consider playing basketball competitively, as competition always tends to drive the pace up a bit, which will translate in to a higher number of calories burned playing basketball for you, and weight lost as a result.
To see even more calorie burning activities check out the calories burned chart.