Compare the calories burned playing tennis to a variety of other activities at the calories burned chart.
Tennis is the ideal kind of activity to burn calories and lose weight, and you will be impressed by the amount of calories burned playing tennis.
There are a lot of activities that you can do that will help burn a lot of calories, but aren’t any fun to do. The amount of calories burned running, for example, are significant, but a lot of people would rank running as about as enjoyable as going to the dentist. It’s something that a lot of people do, but not many enjoy.
Activities such as tennis are different though, because unlike activities that rank down with going to the dentist in terms of enjoyment, tennis is a great game that is very enjoyable to play.
The one downside of trying to up the amount of calories burned playing tennis, and the weight you will lose as a result, is that you cant just out and play tennis. You need a partner, for one, and a fair bit of equipment, including a court to play on.
Nevertheless, if you enjoy tennis, it’s a great way to burn calories and achieve your weight loss goals.
Calories Burned – Playing Tennis
The amount of calories burned playing tennis is dependent upon a few variables, such as whether you are playing doubles or singles, and what your weight is while playing.
All data is from the Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise journal, the official journal of the American College of Sports Medicine.
Calories Burned Playing Tennis – Doubles
- If you weigh roughly 130 pounds: 354 calories burned playing tennis per hour
- If you weigh roughly 155 pounds: 422 calories burned per hour
- If you weigh roughly 180 pounds: 490 calories burned per hour
- If you weigh roughly 205 pounds: 558 calories burned per hour
Calories Burned Playing Tennis – Singles
- If you weigh roughly 130 pounds: 472 calories burned playing tennis per hour
- If you weigh roughly 155 pounds: 563 calories burned per hour
- If you weigh roughly 180 pounds: 654 calories burned per hour
- If you weigh roughly 205 pounds: 745 calories burned per hour
So as you can see from the above information on the amount of calories burned playing tennis, it pays to be selfish and play by yourself. Of course there is nothing wrong with doubles, but clearly singles is your game if you are in it to burn calories.
Of course you could always partner yourself with a poor doubles partner, and then you will be trying to play two positions instead of one, which will up your calories burned and weight lost for sure.
To see even more calorie burning activities check out the calories burned chart.