Compare the calories burned running to a variety of other activities at the calories burned chart.
One of the advantages of calories burned running is that running something fairly simple to do, and without much equipment or space needs. You can make running as complicated as you want, but all you really need is a pair of comfy shoes and a sidewalk to up your calories burned running and lose weight as a result.
Running is one of the most popular activities that people do to burn calories, and with good reason. Running is an easy to do activity with low entrance requirements, but it can also be a lot of fun if you get out of the mindset that running is a chore. The idea of a ‘runners high’ really does exist, and is a great experience.
Calories burned running, then, do not have to be a chore, but can be a fun time. But if all you’re concerned with is burning calories and losing weight, then running is good for that too.
Running – Calories Burned
The amount of calories burned running depends upon a few different things. How much you weigh is one, but another big one is how fast you are running. To find out how many calories are burned running, consult the data below.
All data is from the Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise journal, the official journal of the American College of Sports Medicine.
Calories Burned Running – Slow Pace
- If you weigh roughly 130 pounds: 590 calories burned running per hour
- If you weigh roughly 155 pounds: 704 calories burned per hour
- If you weigh roughly 180 pounds: 817 calories burned per hour
- If you weigh roughly 205 pounds: 931 calories burned per hour
Calories Burned Running – Moderate Pace
- If you weigh roughly 130 pounds: 738 calories burned running per hour
- If you weigh roughly 155 pounds: 880 calories burned per hour
- If you weigh roughly 180 pounds: 1022 calories burned per hour
- If you weigh roughly 205 pounds: 1163 calories burned per hour
Calories Burned Running – Fast Pace
- If you weigh roughly 130 pounds: 885 calories burned running per hour
- If you weigh roughly 155 pounds: 1056 calories burned per hour
- If you weigh roughly 180 pounds: 1226 calories burned per hour
- If you weigh roughly 205 pounds: 1396 calories burned per hour
Things Needed for Running
If you want to start running you will need a few things. Here are a few suggestions.
- Running Shoes – A good pair of running shoes is extremely important for prospective runners. If your feet aren’t happy you wont be doing any running.
- Running Clothes – Good running clothing is very important. It keeps you warm in the cold weather and breathes in the warm weather.
Activities Similar to Running
If running isn’t your thing, here are a few other activities that might be.
Increase the Calories Burned Running
So as you can see the amount of calories burned while running is highly dependent on the pace that you set for yourself. If you are just starting out running then you probably wont be able to achieve an especially fast pace, but a faster pace is certainly a goal you can set for yourself.
And if you’re really in it to burn calories and lose weight then you might consider wearing a weight vest or a even just a backpack with some weights inside, because as you can see the other variable that you can manipulate is your weight. Running with a weight vest probably isn’t for everyone, but if you want to really up your calories burned running then it’s something to consider.
To see even more calorie burning activities check out the calories burned chart.