Compare the calories burned walking to a variety of other activities at the calories burned chart.
Calories burned walking are great because walking isn’t all that stressful or difficult of an activity and it’s something just about everyone can do, so the barriers to doing it are fairly low. Walking is also something just about all of us do every day, and it’s not something that we think about as being a calorie burning activity, but it definitely is.
Of course we could all probably walk a lot more. There is research to suggest that our ancestors walked a lot, as much as 15 to 20 kilometers a day, and most of us don’t manage that much in a week, let alone in a single day.
Fortunately there are plenty of opportunities throughout the day to up your calories burned walking if you look hard. Walking to burn calories can help you lose weight, but it can also help make your wallet a little fatter by helping you save on gas money and other transportation costs. And a fat wallet, unlike a fat waistline, is always a good thing.
Walking – Calories Burned
The calories burned walking, and the weight loss that will result depends on a couple of different things. One of those things is your weight. The other is the speed at which you walk. To find out how many calories are burned walking, consult the chart below.
All data is from the Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise journal, the official journal of the American College of Sports Medicine.
Calories Burned Walking – Slow Pace
- If you weigh roughly 130 pounds: 148 calories burned by walking per hour
- If you weigh roughly 155 pounds: 176 calories burned per hour
- If you weigh roughly 180 pounds: 204 calories burned per hour
- If you weigh roughly 205 pounds: 233 calories burned per hour
Calories Burned Walking – Moderate Pace
- If you weigh roughly 130 pounds: 195 calories burned walking per hour
- If you weigh roughly 155 pounds: 232 calories burned per hour
- If you weigh roughly 180 pounds: 270 calories burned per hour
- If you weigh roughly 205 pounds: 307 calories burned per hour
Calories Burned Walking – Fast Pace
- If you weigh roughly 130 pounds: 295 calories burned walking per hour
- If you weigh roughly 155 pounds: 352 calories burned per hour
- If you weigh roughly 180 pounds: 409 calories burned per hour
- If you weigh roughly 205 pounds: 465 calories burned per hour
Things Needed for Walking
Even for something as simple as walking, it helps to have a few things.
- Walking Shoes – A good pair of shoes is very important, even for walking. Walking may not seem like much, but a bad pair of shoes worn every day for an hour of walking adds up to a lot of hours spent walking in bad shoes.
- Pedometer – Keeping track of how many steps you have taken can give you a lot of valuable insight in to how you are progressing towards your weight loss goals.
Activities Similar to Walking
If you want to try a few things similar to walking, here are a couple of suggestions.
Ways to Increase the Calories Burned Walking
So obviously the pace that you walk at is going to have a big effect on the calories burned by walking. Walking is fairly low impact though, so it’s something you can do at a relatively high pace and not tire yourself out too much.
And if you want to up your calories burned walking, look for opportunities throughout the day to walk. Instead of taking the bus, for example, consider walking if the distance isn’t too far. If you would previously drive to a destination that was only a mile or two away, walk instead. You can budget your time to get there on time, and your waistline will thank you for making the effort.
To see even more calorie burning activities check out the calories burned chart.